how it works
Understanding your worried thoughts
The BRAVE Program will help you (and your parent or carer) identify, understand, and change your worried thoughts and behaviour patterns, so you can improve the way you feel.
Designed by young people for young people, and built by world-class scientists, the BRAVE Program is a 10 session digital Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) program designed to be completed over 10 weeks. Plus, there are 2 booster sessions, which will help you practice your new BRAVE skills after you complete the program.
The BRAVE sessions
Each session takes between 20 to 60 minutes to complete. If you exit a session before you have finished it, you will be able to pick up where you left off the next time you log in.
We recommend completing one session each week so that you give yourself the time to practice what you have learned before you come back. We also send you reminder emails to prompt you to return for your next session.
Interactive activities guide your progress, with each session building on the one before, helping you to develop the skills to turn your troubles into triumphs.
When you use BRAVE, you will learn how to:
- Detect when you are stressed and anxious by paying attention to your body clues.
- Practice relaxation skills that are easy and actually work to calm your body.
- Change your unhelpful thoughts into helpful ones.
- Set goals and work towards overcoming your fears.
- Celebrate your success!
The BRAVE process
We start things off in Session 1 by getting to know ourselves and how our feelings can influence our body language. There are interactive activities and animated characters along the way who will guide your progress. Bonus materials are available to help with your homework practice, as well as relaxation tracks you can listen to.
Extra features are unlocked as you progress, such as the BRAVE Ladder. You will build your own interactive BRAVE Ladder by breaking down a specific fear or worry into small steps, so together we can help you gradually work towards overcoming this situation. Young people who have a specific anxiety trigger—like doing a class speech, getting an injection, or going to swimming lessons—have told us that the BRAVE Ladder is one of the most helpful parts of the BRAVE Program.
What’s covered in the BRAVE sessions
1. Getting started
1. Getting startedMarch 26, 2021
2. The way we think and feel
2. The way we think and feelMarch 26, 2021
3. Body signs & relaxation
3. Body signs & relaxationMarch 26, 2021
4. Activate helpful thoughts
4. Activate helpful thoughtsMarch 26, 2021
5. Victory over fears
5. Victory over fearsMarch 26, 2021
6. Creating BRAVE ladders
6. Creating BRAVE laddersMarch 26, 2021
7. Problem solving
7. Problem solvingMarch 26, 2021
8. Enjoy! Embrace the positives
8. Enjoy! Embrace the positivesMarch 26, 2021
9. PracticeMarch 26, 2021
10. Preparing for the future
10. Preparing for the futureMarch 26, 2021
11. Booster 1: Refresh key concepts
11. Booster 1: Refresh key conceptsMarch 26, 2021
12. Booster 2: Identify goals and achieve them
12. Booster 2: Identify goals and achieve themMarch 26, 2021
Remember, BRAVE is a self-help program.
There are lots of tips throughout to help you turn your fears into victory. If you are having trouble you should always ask your mum, dad, or support person for help.